The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

Looking Back

January 9, 2013

 


50 Years Ago-January 10, 1963

• Rural Fire Protection District No. 7 now has its new headquarters and equipment storage building in operation and is recruiting men for a fire crew, according to the directors, Ronald Roe, Don Hoctor and Marvin Norris. Engaged as chief for the department is R.V. Blinn, former Goldendale chief. Ervin Anderson is assistant chief. The headquarters building, the former James Implement Co. building on West D Street, until lately used as a tractor repair shop by Bert Wilkins Logging Co., will house two rural trucks, with space for others, plus repair shop space. An office room will be used for meetings.

75 Years Ago-January 13, 1938

Klickitat County’s treasury was $8 richer this week following receipt of a check for the amount from the state treasurer’s office of this county’s share of the Federal Forest Reserve fund for the year 1937. A total of $129,184 was distributed among Washington’s 39 counties. The distribution is from the annual remittance to the states from the Federal government. It represents 25 percent of the grazing fees from revenue derived by grazing livestock in forest reserves in the respective counties.

100 Years Ago-January 11, 1913

• Mrs. James Powell of Hartland narrowly escaped serious injury Christmas eve when she was kicked in the mouth by a horse. She had turned the horse out the stable, when he became playful, rearing up and striking. Luckily the blow was well spent when it reached Mrs. Powell, and beyond a nervous shock she received no injury.

• Mr. Reckley, the butcher, may well be considered a public benefactor, inasmuch he disregarded the croaker of the knockers and opened up a butcher shop, a business that the town (Hartland) has sorely needed.

125 Years Ago-January 11, 1888

• W.B. Presby, A.B., a graduate of Dartmouth College, will call upon the people of Goldendale, in a few days, for the purpose of organizing an evening school for instruction in the higher branches of study.

Compiled by Jean Allyn Smeltzer, of the Klickitat County Historical Society

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018