The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Jean Allyn Smeltzer
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

August 26, 2015

 


50 Years Ago - August 26, 1965

A torrent of water rushed down the canyon on the south side of Haystack Mountain about 2:30 Sunday afternoon and covered both lanes of Highway 830 (now Highway 14) with mud and rocks. The slide followed a cloudburst so intense windshield wipers simply couldn’t cope with the volume of rain. There was two feet of water rushing across the road which left the highway covered across both lanes at the Wishram junction. Later rock hounds scurried up the canyon in search of newly uncovered specimens.

75 Years Ago - August 22, 1940

Goldendale’s city government will move into new quarters in the Darch building (125 West Main Street) shortly after September 1, M...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018