The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Jean Allyn Smeltzer
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

November 18, 2015

 


50 Years Ago - November 18, 1965

Electrician’s Mate Third Class James E. Riley, USN, son of Mrs. Ivan A. Riley of Goldendale, received the U. S. Expeditionary Medal for his supporting role in combat operations off the coast of Viet Nam while serving aboard the attack aircraft carrier USS Midway, now operating out of Alameda, California.

75 Years Ago - November 21, 1940

Five justices of the peace were elected in Klickitat County in the November 5 election, John A. Miller, auditor announced this week. A. J. Ahola was re-elected for Goldendale; A. B. Groshong was re-elected for White Salmon; F. A. Harris was re-elected by Bingen; Robert Parrott was elected for Glenwood and Fay McNabb was elected for Lyle.

100 Years Ago - November 26, 1915

The large wooden structure at Granddalles, which was familiarly known as the “glass factory,” burned to the ground last Saturday morning between 10 and 11 o’clock.

J. T. Rorick, who owned the three story building, values his loss at $1,500, without insurance. A hay loader and a hay rake, which were stored in the building, burned with the structure, which blazed like dry kindling wood. Mr. Rorick believes the fire was started by careless tramps, many of whom have been infesting that territory during the past two weeks.

The “glass factory” was built 24 years ago by the company which exploited Granddalles land. The large wooden building was erected for the purpose of installing machinery and running a glass factory. As the “boom” died down, the plan to start the factory was abandoned, and the machinery for the manufacture of glass was never purchased. Mr. Rorick used the building for a store house for his ranch implements.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018