The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

Looking Back


February 21, 2018

April 18, 1882

Ed Philip’s, stage couch driver bearing the U.S. Mail has poured oil on turbulent water by apologizing to the county matron whose home is along his route. Recently while pausing to pass the time of day on his run, Phillips remarked, “I didn’t realize this was a school house; is it recess?” as he noted the many children running around outdoors. She was somewhat offended as all the children were hers.

February 13. 1913 - THE INDEPENDENT

Born, on last Sunday, to Mr. and Mrs. Dan Lefever, a son. These people reside eight miles south east of town. Dan now has a smile on his face that refuses to come off.

January 24, 1918 – Pleasant Valley

We understand that some efforts are being made to “Doctor Up” a mire hole that has been a source of trouble and profanity near the Wyatt place on Bickleton Road every winter since that road was traveled.

May 15, 1924

Two hundred 1924 Simcoes, the Goldendale High School annual, were delivered this week just off The Sentinel press. Each volume contains 104 pages. The annual this year is the largest ever published by the local high school and is well gotten up.

February 19, 1948

Bright new fountain: The “Coffee Club” is wondering if white ties and tails will be required at the Allison Pharmacy now that the new fountain has been installed. The elbow-benders arrived at their popular coffee stop Monday morning to be greeted by an expanse of stainless steel and gleaming chrome which was the new fountain. It was then that they began to wonder if they shouldn’t “go formal” when they visit the placed. So far, no new rules and regulations have been posted and Cliff Pike hasn’t turned anyone away due to improper dress.

January 26, 1967

Organizers of the Klickitat Valley Bank have reached the half way mark in subscription of stock for the proposed new bank in Goldendale and are now undertaking an all-out effort to complete the campaign with in the next month

February 17, 1972

Roger Pond, London, Ohio has been appointed county extension agent according to Howard Wilson, county extension staff chairman. Pond will be responsible for the extension 4-H club program and for youth and adult livestock education programs.

Triva answer for last week:

Chatfield Street; John R. Chatfield was a real estate dealer who platted several additions to John Golden’s original town site, Chatfield’s First and Second Addition, Chatfield’s North and South Garden Row. His land was all east of Columbus Avenue. The Goldendale Methodist Church gave John Chatfield $20.00 in 1875 to purchase lots at the Northeast corner of Broadway and Columbus Avenue. The Methodist Church still occupies that corner.

Next Week – Street in Legion Heights – Allison Way?

Compiled by Richard Lefever

Klickitat County Historical Museum


Reader Comments


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2017