The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

Library milestones for June

 


As the Goldendale Library celebrates its centennial this year, milestones from the library’s history will be highlighted. This month, highlights from the month of June in various years are shown below.

June 10, 1912—Woman’s Association of Goldendale organize “uplift of Goldendale” and to make school and library books from Olympia available to children during the summer.

June 6, 1913—James H. and Amanda A. Stackhouse sell Lots, 10, 11, 12 in Block 33 of John J. Golden’s Central Addition to the town of Goldendale… to the trustees of the Goldendale Public Free Library Association… for $800 (recorded Aug. 13, 1913, Klickitat County Deeds.)

June 8, 1914—Bids open at Doyle and Patterson, Portland architects, for completion of the Goldendale Free Public Library (ad in Sentinel).

June 19, 1914—Board accepts bid of Mr. Stebinger as contractor for library building. Specific changes include red cedar shingles and concrete floor in basement changed to four-inch thickness.

June 29, 1915—Board approves the following bills: Merle Chapman, $2, rental of chairs for library opening; C.R. Smith, one clock, $6.50 (the clock still hangs on the library wall behind Circulation Desk); J.E. Riley grading library lot, $40.

June 30, 1916—585 new borrowers registered during year. Total borrowers: 874.

June 30, 1917 to 1918—Incidental expenses from the year starting June 30, 1917 specific items: stamps, five cents; fly swatter, 10 cents; 30 picture frames, 65 cents; post office box 75 cents; pens, 50 cents. Total incidentals for year: $12.37.

June 19, 1952—New books in the library include Dance to the Piper by Agnes de Mille, the “warm-hearted autobiography of an American girl.”

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018

Rendered 01/24/2019 20:46