Fire Marshall: Don't play with fire this New Year's Eve
The holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But that also means a greater risk for fire. Whether you are getting ready to do some holiday entertaining at home or headed out to a party to ring in the New Year, State Fire Marshal Chuck Duffy suggests following these simple tips to ensure a celebration that is both festive and fire-safe:
• Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
• Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
• Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
• Ask smokers to smoke outside. Provide deep ashtrays and wet cigarette butts with...