The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Akasha Spino-Bybee
For The Sentinel 

Vern Markee Park still holds a place of honor

 

Contributed

IT'S A GO: Jim Allyn gives a thumbs-up as the Chamber of Commerce building is raised off its foundation. The building and the park that hosts it have a colorful history.

What used to be an empty weigh station on the side of Highway 142 has since become a local landmark of volunteerism and a tourist destination-the Vern Markee Park, featuring the Greater Goldendale Area Chamber of Commerce.

As of 1996, the current Chamber site was merely a plot of land with no purpose, a deed that belonged to Washington State, which later passed the deed to the city of Goldendale. The then-members of the Chamber of Commerce, including Earlene Sullivan, Jim Allyn, and numerous others, wanted to lease this land from the city to secure a place where the board could seek inspiration for innovative thinking on behalf of the town. And fortunately, this did come true. With a plot...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.


 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018