By Jean Allyn Smeltzer
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

July 1, 2015

 


50 Years Ago - June 24, 1965

New rest room and shower room facilities at Brooks Memorial State Park are approaching reality, under a contract with the state parks commission being fulfilled by Harold Blake, contractor. Two new modern rest rooms with hot and cold water showers are being built, one at the Youth Camping Center, and the other at the overnight tent and trailer camp area, according to Frank Traffer, park ranger. The overnight camp now affords tent space for 23 camping parties, and there is room for 12 trailers, with electric outlets and hookups for water and sewer.

75 Years Ago - June 27, 1940

Affidavits and resolutions of the Klickitat board of County Commissioners, showing despite the loss of certain records, that Klickitat’s public utility district was legally voted into being and organized in 1938, having been accepted by the R. E. A. officer in Washington, D. C. Martin Lumijarvi, Centerville member of the three man P. U. D. Commission, said this approval definitely assures the release of $94,000 in R. E. A. fund to pay for the cost of the line construction now underway in the Glenwood, Gilmer and Trout Lake areas.

100 Years Ago - July 2, 1915

Our Maryhill correspondent states that the steamer “Dalles City” has been chartered to make its first trip through The Dalles-Celilo canal Sunday, July 4, when an excursion will be run from The Dalles to Maryhill. Intoxicating liquors will not be allowed on board the boat.

125 Years Ago - July 3, 1890

Tacoma Globe: Captain Cale S. Rinehart commands the body of troops, part of which while enjoying a day in town were taken for regulars by the people. The captain is proud of B Company, 2nd Regiment, all the way from Goldendale, and well he might be. The Goldendale boys made by far the longest and roughest trip to camp of any company in the brigade. [In 1885, Rinehart assisted in the organization of Co. B. of the National Guard of Washington and later was commissioned its captain in that rank for four years. During the same time he was also editor and manager of The Sentinel until March 4, 1891, when he was appointed Clerk of the Washington Supreme Court.]

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019