The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Jean Allyn Smeltzer
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

March 16, 2016

 


25 Years Ago - March 14, 1991

The Hollywood production firm of Dekter Higgins sent scouts to the Columbia Gorge last month. Based on their reports, director Thom Higgins selected the Harold Hill ranch on Knight Road for part of the production.

An exterior design company painted “Hill Farms” on the side of the barn, giving it an old, weathered look to match the structure. At the other end of the barn, a horse stood patiently amid the lights and cameras as the film crew composed another shot of a veterinarian. The only hitch came when the horse stepped back, placing one hoof through a reflective lighting screen. Local ranchers also had a hand in the events, as Karl Amidon provided a horse trailer, Jim Sizemore brought a tractor, Vern Imrie hauled in hay, and Chad Crites, the son of farmer Glenwood sculptor Paul Crites, delivered a calf from the Art Schuster ranch. All this was for a GM commercial.

50 Years Ago - March 17, 1966

Coach Herb Callan will have 8 lettermen to build his Timberwolf track team on this season with the 1st track meet scheduled at Wapato next Saturday. Speedsters from last year are Vince Dressel in the 100, 220, 440 and relay; Steve Hassing in the 100, 220 and hurdles; Ron Powell and Frank Troller will be competing in the 440 and relay; Dan Hopkins and Don Jensen in the 880. Tom Roberts is the only distance letterman and Bob Steffens, the only pole vaulting letterman.

75 Years Ago - March 13, 1941

Mrs. Eva Cady announced this week that to avoid confusion she is changing the name of the Radcliffe Nursing Home to the Goldendale General Hospital. Mrs. Cady, a registered nurse, is in charge of the hospital. (This house is located at 415 Grant Street.)

100 Years Ago - March 16, 1916

Marshall Burgen and assistants are moving the hitching racks from the old location north of the Post Office, to the lots across the street from the Sentinel office, on Court and Grant streets. The Hitching racks are a necessity in every town, and the location near the central part of the business section is desired. They were removed on account of the complaint by health and postal departments. There is no reason why the lots cannot be kept in a sanitary condition.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019