The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Shelby Taylor
Reporter 

One injured as fire consumes Goldendale home

 

Contributed

ALL THAT REMAINS: An early morning fire reduced Margaret McInturff's home to charred rubble last week.

Saturday, June 11 at 5 a.m., Margaret McInturff's home-directly across the street from the fire station-caught fire, though the convenient location did not keep her residence from being completely destroyed. The fire was started by an oil heater in the back bedroom, the same space her grandson was occupying.

Though everyone, including the dog, did make it out of the fire with their lives, McInturff's grandson suffered second and third degree burns on his left foot. It was his 17th birthday.

Contributed

The family is being helped by a support account at Umpqua Bank.

Due to a lack of charged batteries in the home's detectors, the alarm did not sound, causing the family to lose everything in their possession. The fire department gave McInturff $800 in support funds for temporary housing from its Fire Victims' fund. The family has also set up a fundraising support account.

"They lost everything, and there is a fund set up at Umpqua Bank to help them out with donations," says daughter Alicia McInturff.

After a fire, expenses such as temporary shelter, clothing, and other necessities burden families with significant financial hardship. "In 2014, there were 1,298,000 fires reported in the United States. These fires caused 3,275 civilian deaths, 15,775 civilian injuries, and $11.6 billion in property damage," according to the National Fire Protection Association.

To support and donate to the McInturff family, go to Umpqua Bank and submit funds in her name.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018