The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Compiled by Richard Lefever
Klickitat County Historical Museum 

Looking Back

 


June 26, 1888

The new Methodist Church now in the course of construction will be considerably larger than the old one and will be heated by a furnace in the basement. A new bell for the Methodist Church arrived in town last Saturday. It is somewhat larger than the old one was. (The original Methodist Church burned Sunday May 13, 1888.)

June 28. 1928

The Goldendale Garage reports the sale of the following cars the past week; used Overland to Mr. King, a new Whippett coupe to James Hartz, a Whippet coach to Pete Garrison, Whippett collegiate roadster to Mr. Norris, and a used Case to Ed Randall.

June 2, 1938

Klickitat County ranks 13th among the counties of Washington on size of average per acre wheat yield Department of Agriculture figures show. Klickitat’s average acre yield as determined over a 10-year period from 1926 to 1935 is 15.8 bushels per acre. Highest acreage yield in the state is Island County with 32.7 bushels. Of the large wheat producing counties of Eastern Washington Garfield is the pace setter with 26.7 bushels per acre. However, Yakima and Kittitas with some irrigated acreage exceed the Garfield average. Large wheat producing counties with smaller average yields than Klickitat are; Adams, Douglas, and Grant all of the Big Bend Country

June 28, 1956

New owners to take over paper: effective July 1, Mr. and Mrs. C.E. May, former residents of Portland, will take over the ownership of The Goldendale Sentinel. Mr. and Mrs. Harold Fariello, residents of Goldendale for the past 30 years, who have been in the newspaper business since that time, are retiring form the business and plan to make their permanent home on their small acreage near Goldendale. Mr. and Mrs. May, who both are experienced in the weekly newspaper field, have been in Goldendale since June first acquainting themselves with the mechanical department and business details of the business. Robert Mitchell, editor of The Sentinel for the past four years, will continue in that capacity. Mrs. Bob Anderson will continue her duties in the front office as bookkeeper and “all-round handy gal.” In the mechanical department will be Mrs. Evelyn Vader as linotypist. Bob Mitchell Jr., floorman, assisted by Bob Curtis.

June 28, 1956

Goldendale Volunteer Fire Department will soon move their equipment into new quarters on Court and South Golden. The new quarters, 64x60 feet, is constructed of concrete blocks and will house six trucks, plus all other equipment. The only area not completed in the building is a 16 by 44 strip which will be developed at a later date. Since the sale of the old fire hall on Columbus Avenue the fire department trucks have been housed in the basement of the courthouse.

June 11, 1998

The golfing team of Larry Smart, Bill Beyerlin, Ken Smith, Jim Mailing and Lon Burkdoll took first place in the Goldendale Aluminum Spring Gold Tournament on May 30. The team of Dennis Meech, James Avery, Jeff Erland, Don Slawson and Rick Hansen came in Second. The longest putt went to Nate Henning. The longest drive went to Doug Austin.

Answer to last week’s Trivia question: John Golden was actively developing his new town site while Ulysses S. Grant was serving as our 18th president between 1869 and 1877. Golden, being an ardent Republican, named Grant Street in his honor. Unofficially this corner is considered as Goldendale’s financial district. A banking institution has occupied the intersection of Main and Grant Streets since 1889 when the First National Bank of Goldendale opened.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 09/21/2019 08:18