The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Compiled by Richard Lefever
Klickitat County Historical Museum 

Looking Back

 

October 24, 2018



October 8, 1891 – 127 years ago

Columbus School District 9 has just completed a new school house which they claim– reasonably claim, too—to be the best in in the county. It is 32 x 50 and two stories high, and cost $1,975; furniture $350, and bell $50, making a total of $2,395. Messrs. Wheelhouse and Son were the builders. It would be an ornament to any locality and is a credit to the good people of Columbus. Mrs. James Rusk and son are engaged as teachers, and began school Monday

morning last.

October 9, 1913 – 105 years ago

Work on the new vault at the Court House was started by Thomas Twohig this week. It is to be ten by sixteen feet in size, and will be built at the southeast end of the building, with an entrance from the clerk’s office. The need of this vault has long been recognized. Years-ago the vault room in the court house was taxed to its capacity, and since that time room for storing the new records has been made by moving the older ones to the tool-house wood shed which stands at the back end of the lot. This was poor business, and had the records or anything else of equal value belonged to any one man, a change would have been made long ago, but because the belonged to all of us, nothing was done about it. (The old court house located on the southwest corner of Columbus Avenue and Court street was vacated about 1941 to make room for the current court house.)

October 7, 1947 - 71 years ago

The Goldendale Future Farmers started a new year of school by electing new officers for the school term on September 28. Ted Bellamy was elected president: Roscoe Imrie, vice president; Orin Dayton, treasurer; Don Robison, secretary; Don Lee, reporter; Don Kemp, Sentinel.

October 17, 1968 - 50 years ago

Pioneer Main Street Water Trough Con’d: Markee’s fountain- an old horse water trough, at the corner of Main and Grant Streets, is standing up well- considering the fears of some of us. To date it has been in place about 60 days with almost no damage (except for a brick out of place now and then). It has elicited many a compliment from visitors who come to town.

Speaking of damage, some of the older folks relate how the tank’s predecessor, made of bronze, was finally cracked from being hit by wagon tongues (drawn by teams rushing up for a drink). The present tank then was built of reinforced concrete. It was calculated to stand up to anything drawn by horses. It did lose a faucet once: to a horse-propelled grain header trying to navigate past it during a parade.

October 9, 2008 – 10 years ago

More than cookies; Girl Scout Troop 1943 members Sara Wade, Emily Eglin, Kirstin Twohy, Lydia Ocean Bryan, are out and about selling nuts and candies. The Troop is raising funds for a trip to Yellowstone National Park in July 2009. Troop leaders are Claudine Wade and Stacy Bryan.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018