The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Compiled by Richard Lefever
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

 


April 12, 1929 – 90 Years Ago

Goldendale Postmaster T.A. Graham received a certificate this week, from the Daniel Guggenheim Fund for Promotion of Aeronautics, Inc. which is to be presented to the Standard Oil Company, in recognition of their marker for air service identification. This marker is the name, “Goldendale,” placed on the roof of their building, and can be easily read from high in the air. The certificate is signed by Harry F. Guggenheim and Charles A. Lindberg. The organization is making a nation-wide effort to identify towns for aeronautical purposes, and this places Goldendale on the map of the government, used by the several departments.

April 28, 1938 – 81 Years Ago

A handful of homemade musket balls, probably molded by some long-forgotten Klickitat Valley pioneer, were found buried under two feet of earth in a wheat field on the Arie Van Aelst place last week. The musket shot, together with a number of antique cartridges used by the United States Cavalrymen 50 years or more ago, were discovered by two members of the Camp Goldendale soil-conservation unit, while employed in digging a pipe line ditch across the field.

May 25, 1939 – 80 Years Ago

Attracted by the day-long display of some of the Klickitat valley’s finest livestock, at least 1,000 people attended the second annual Goldendale High School Future Farmers Fair held here last Saturday. The livestock show, held on lower Main Street, was free to everyone. Stock exhibited was owned by members of the Future Farmers organization and various Klickitat Valley farmers and Stockmen. Frank Stevens, Smith Hughes instructor at the high school, arranged the details of the show. J. Arthur Johnson, agriculture instructor at Ellensburg and S.H. Van Wouldenberg, of White Salmon, acted as judges.

April 23, 1959 – 60 Years Ago

Editorial: The rolling Goodnoe Hills, where wheat now grows, once were covered with almond and apricot trees, 1500 acres of them – with figs and other warm climate fruits included for variety. Instead of 1500 acres of orchard, probably less than 100 acres of trees are now standing, neglected, unpruned and uncultivated, yet still blossoming in springtime and producing fruit in the fall. Such is the story told by our correspondent, Musa Geer, who came to “The Hills” in 1910 and is still there, proprietor of the little general store between the Wilford Irmie ranch buildings and the school house. In 1910 the orchards were in the hands of about 70 landlords. The land had been subdivided in plots of 20 to 30 acres by the promoter, and sold in the East, to show merchants, court stenographers, and other with money to invest, at $100 per acre. An irrigation plan was included in the overall program, and bonds for its construction were ready for issuance when the European conflict broke out in 1914. That was as far as the irrigation plan ever went, and in the course of time title to most of the tracts reverted to the county for non-payment of taxes. The soil on the Goodnoe Hills is light and fertile, “best in the Northwest” according to Miss Geer. And who knows, history may repeat itself, with better success. Even irrigation may come in time, to bring fulfillment of the dreams of the original promoters. Stranger things have happened.

May 1, 1969 – 50 Years Ago

Several Goldendale High School seniors were busy last week transporting donated tires from OK Tire in Goldendale to Lorena Butt where they are being used to Construct a large “G”

April 19, 1979 – IOOF 100th Anniversary

Odd Fellows lodges were pioneers in establishment of cemeteries in every new territory they entered. Goldendale was no exception. Forty acres of “school land” was purchased from the county for that purpose in February, 1881, for the sum of $440. A down payment of $44 was made with the balance of $396 to be paid in 10 years, at six percent interest. This tract included the original cemetery of pioneers and has been increased in size to make up our present cemetery. In territorial days, two sections of land (numbers 16 and 36) of each township were set aside from homestead or other settlement for school purposes. Our cemetery occupies the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 16, township 4 north, range 16 east of the Willamette Meridian. The adjoining section to the south was more level ground, hence more desirable not only for schools but for the town which grew up here.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 11/18/2019 21:16