The Goldendale Sentinel - Headlines & History since 1879

By Compiled by Richard Lefever
Klickitat County Historical Society 

Looking Back

 

November 13, 2019



November 7, 1913 – The Centerville Times – 106 Years Ago

Was there ever a quieter week in Centerville than the one just past? Telephones have been unusually silent—no gossip has floated around. Altogether, it has been a disappointing week for a newsman.

November 14, 1929 – 90 Years Ago

The first after-dark landing on the Goldendale Airport was accomplished Tuesday night this week, when Sid Monnastes brought his Eagle Rock plane safely to a good landing. He flew up from Portland, arriving shortly after six o’clock, practically in pitch dark. He flew over town a few times, then went out and dropped close to the field. Gaining his bearing from adjacent lights, he made another circle to land. By this time several people drove out to the landing field in their cars, and the lights aided to some extent in estimating the distance to the ground. The landing was accomplished without mishap. It is hoped a beacon arrangement can be secured in not too distant a time, as there will be other occasions to use the field in the evening

November 9, 1939 - 80 Years Ago

Combining the memberships of some five individual groups, the first Klickitat Valley 4-H livestock club was organized here Saturday. The new club, when its organization work is completed, will have a membership of more than 50. Jack Davenport, son of Mr. & Mrs. Paul Davenport, was elected president of the new 4-H club, Keith Kayser, of Centerville, son of Mr. & Mrs. Mark Kayser, is club vice-president; and Martina VanAelst, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Martin VanAelst is club secretary and treasurer. A name for the new club will be selected at the organizations next meeting scheduled at the Centerville Grange Hall. (Central Klickitat Livestock Club was the name chosen at the next meeting. Central Klickitat is now the oldest 4-H club in the county)

November 16, 1972 – 47 Years Ago

The old National Bank of Commerce, torn down in early November is believed to have been built about 1914. Bill Hardin, Goldendale’s brick building expert of the era, constructed the edifice for N. B. Brooks. The main entrance has been situated at three locations. At first it was on the southeast (Main and Grant) facing south; then it was moved to the southeast corner facing east, and finally the opening was moved to the ultimate location near the center of the south side. Offices and apartments occupied the second floor of the old building. Dr. William H West leased one office for more than half a century. Other doctors quartered there through the years were Dr. Holderby, Dr. Richardson, Dr. Rosser P. Adkison, Dr. J.N. Reid, Dr. Clarence Leary, and Dr. John Libby. Prior to conversion completely to offices in the late 1940’s, there were apartments above the bank. The Goldendale Post Office was located in the former bank building meeting room, on the first floor, for more than 30 years until moved to its new quarters in the Mid-1950’s. (The Star Theater, Dairy Bar and ASCS/SCS-Creamery Building were torn down earlier in the year.) At its grand opening, the new N.B. of C bank had a staff of 17. Daryl Spalding, Ron Loomis, Roger Short, Barry Laws, Edna McClenathan, Jean Miller, Shari Rutledge, Pat Woodward, Lil Wooley, Virginia Taylor, Carol Olin, Myrel Mesecher, Mildred Whyte, Doris Riches, Ruth Scofield, Barbara Carr, and Ben and Dorothy Forry.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 12/07/2019 09:33